Guidelines for cleaning your keys and preventing damage
Yamaha acoustic and digital piano key tops are made of synthetic materials which may react adversely to various cleaning and disinfecting agents. We advise the following practices for cleaning and protecting your keys:
- Avoid cleaners (both liquid and saturated wipe-type cleaners) that contain harsh
ingredients including alcohol (isopropyl), chlorine, ethanol, benzene, peroxide and
salts. These ingredients contribute to discoloration and cracking.
- If a player uses hand sanitizer that contains any of the above ingredients, please
make sure their hands are completely dry before touching the keyboard.
- Using a microfiber cloth dampened with lukearm water, with a small amount of
dish soap, and wrung out enough that water does not drip on the keys. Wipe down
the keys in a ‘toward the player’ motion.
- Finally, using a third, dried microfiber cloth wipe down the keys in a ‘toward the
player’ motion until all the keys are dry.
- Keep the key cover closed at all times when the piano is not in use.
- Cleaning your hands before playing is recommended and will ensure a high level
of playability through the life of your piano.
Disclaimer: These recommendations do not guarantee disinfection of the keys, and many currently popular disinfectants may damage keytops over time.
Have questions or want to learn more about pianos?
Call 262-202-8250, email us, or stop in our store.
We would love to have you visit soon!
Monday-Friday: 8am – 6pm
Monday: 11am – 8pm
Wednesday: 11am – 8pm
Saturday: 1pm – 5pm
Appointments available other days and times
12555 W. Wirth Street
Brookfield, WI 53005
Contact Dave or Brigitte Hulbert
You must fill out the addition to process this form.